Wittenbach Exceeds Service Expectations with Next Generation Mobile Solution
Wittenbach Business Systems is a premier provider of money processing and security solutions for financial institutions and retail organizations on the East Coast. Wittenbach’s Service Division is comprised of over 120 service technicians strategically located throughout eleven states to deliver timely, effective service of ATMs, teller automation and money processing machines, conventional bank equipment, and security systems.
First Generation Mobility Speeds Invoicing
In 2005, Wittenbach made the move from paper-based service tickets and communication via pager and voicemail to a custom-built mobile solution as part of the company’s “Going Mobile” initiative. That system shortened the window between service calls and invoicing from 7 to 10 days, all the way down to same day invoicing. With this experience under their belt, Wittenbach’s service techs wanted more.
Wittenbach Seeks Greater Efficiencies with Next Generation Mobile Solution In an effort to use technology to gain a competitive advantage and conduct business in real-time, the company began to consider how to enhance its mobile solution to gain additional efficiencies in its labor force and fleet operations. Wittenbach wanted the next generation of its mobile solution to improve service call response time, increase the first time fix rate, increase equipment uptime, and improve preventative maintenance completion rates.
To accomplish these goals, in 2011 the team took its feature wish list and started looking for a solution that would provide the features and flexibility they need, while also offering the ability to adapt over time.
Solution: Going Mobile version 2.0 with Apacheta ServiceACE™ for Android One of the top requirements for this next generation solution were to move from the obsolete consumer-grade Windows Mobile hardware currently in use to a more powerful Android device. Wittenbach also required integration with its Microsoft Dynamics® NAV (formerly Navision) ERP system for dispatch, billing, and service order management. To meet these requirements Wittenbach selected Apacheta ServiceACE.
Apacheta used its cross-platform technology to move its ServiceACE application to Android and worked with Wittenbach to tailor the solution to existing business processes. Running on the Motorola Droid 3, ServiceACE interfaces with Microsoft Dynamics NAV to access service work dispatches, customer service history, and billing information and track parts and inventory to provide a
seamless mobile solution that covers the entire day-in-the-life of a field service technician.
Using ServiceACE, Wittenbach service techs can:
- Process service calls more effectively to improve response time – technicians can see the customer address and ETA when given a new
service order and choose to accept or reject the call depending on whether or not they can meet the service level agreement (SLA) required response time
- Get voice guided navigation from site to site using integrated GPS software to improve response time and fleet efficiency
- Call customers using click-to-call functionality in order to increase efficiency and enhance customer satisfaction
- Receive a complete service order history to improve first time fix rates
- Document service provided by adding repair codes and including photo documentation of damaged equipment with exception reports to improve customer satisfaction
- Track time spent on site and on each repair code to provide more accurate invoicing
- Capture signatures for work completed and automatically email designated recipient to reduce billing disputes and increase customer
- Map outstanding or upcoming preventative maintenance calls in the area to reduce drive time, increase equipment uptime, and improve PM completion rates
- Manage parts inventory at a van and tech level, including transfer of parts between locations or technicians to reduce inventory demands
- Use integrated messaging to communicate with the back-office in realtime
Today, Wittenbach’s 120+ service technicians are using the Apacheta ServiceACE mobile solution. As a result, the company’s open call report has shrunk considerably and the amount of inventory they need to carry on hand has also been reduced. The company has also begun to track key performance indicators in real-time and provide a scorecard to customers to let them know how Wittenbach’s service stacks up against its service level agreements. Some of the metrics the company tracks includes:
- Time between service order acceptance and customer contact
- Response time with percentage of calls where tech is on-site before ETA
- First call fix rate
- Equipment uptime
- Preventative maintenance on-time completion rate
The company has also created a web-based service interface that allows customers to log in to request service and check on status, including what was done to fix the problem. This has become a true competitive advantage, as it helps Wittenbach customers manage their equipment more effectively by better understanding which equipment has greater failure rates.
Constant Innovation Keeps the Competitive Edge
Wittenbach is constantly innovating to deliver better service to its customers and maintain their competitive edge. In the fall of 2013, they are already planning on the next release of their Apacheta ServiceACE solution, which will include barcode scanning of parts for streamlined inventory control. They are also looking into the future and considering moving to tablets and utilizing the extra screen real estate to offer schematics and detailed part lists with images.